fundamentals of design / design 1
this was another mandatory course every student at the illinois institute of art
would have to take early on. there were no required skills to enter the class.
we met twice a week for two hours and fifty minutes per class over an eleven week quarter.
- develop a visual and verbal design vocabulary
- manipulate line, value, shape and texture within the two-dimmensional compositional format
- understand design dynamics of motif, repetition, contrast, rhythm, balance and figure-ground interchange
- communicate specific project concepts through the skilled use of non-objective and representational imagery
- fine tune craft / professional presentation: clean and precise final product
- cultivate awareness of quality design in fine and commercial art
- recognize emerging personal styles, strengths, approaches and solutions
amongst peers and within one's own work during group critiques